Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Get By with a Little Help

Magical Girl Studios is a one-woman studio. ALMOST. I have an editor who reads through my scripts and gives me opinions/corrections. She's indispensable as I'm a pretty horrible editor myself - I've turned in papers for school after a simple "spell check" just because the prospect of editing intimidates me intensely. Having a second opinion on my writing is VERY important.

Last night, as she was editing Project G and I was writing Project O, she turned to me and said:

Editor: "Besides editing, is there anything I can do to speed up the process? It seems like so much work."

To be honest, I had no idea how to answer her. I am the sole writer, artist, and coder for this project. All of these are skills I've been developing for years outside of the VN medium.

But she's right - I could use more help. But what kind of help? I have no idea. Any ideas readers and developers? What kind of help are you looking for in your VN projects?

1 comment:

  1. After a while of working on VNs as a one-woman-show (like you), I realized that I'm a very slow writer. In fact, my favorite part of making the games was the coding, not the writing. I love thinking up stories and whatnot, but when it goes down to actually putting the ideas on "paper", I find new ways to distract myself.

    So for my recent project, one that I didn't even have a plot for, I had to get outside help for writing ideas. I originally wanted someone to write the whole dang thing for me, but I realized that it's my game and it would really irk me to be out of control like that (also: no one wanted to). Instead, the ideas that followed from the birdies on my shoulder gave me the motivation to write, which is something I lack, I guess. So my answer to your question is: a muse. <3

    ReplyDelete